Adding Dramatic Lighting Effects to Your Photo
With a bit of selective lightening and darkening in Photoshop, you can make a dull, lifeless photograph pop off the page.
There is nothing wrong with the original image, although the “before” picture lacks the dramatic mood that the change of lighting adds to the “after” picture. By using Photoshop to accentuate the darks and the lights, the viewer’s attention is now focused directly on the couple.
Here’s how to do it:
- Create a new layer in Photoshop by pressing Shift+F5.
- Select “50% Gray from the drop down menu next to “Use: and choose “Color Burn” from the drop down menu next to “Mode”.
- Set the Opacity around 50%-80%. This can be changed later.
- Click “OK”.
- Use the shortcut for the Brush Tool, “B”, and right click to select a large brush with a soft edge.
- Change the brushes color to white and set the opacity to 2%-3%.
- Begin painting where you want the light to appear.